The Reza Floor Lamp I ordered from miniatures.com has been in my dollhouse for a while now, and I've always disliked the shade. Why it’s named after my favorite person from Shahs of Sunset, I don’t know, but the shade is a cube with an unfinished wooden base, which just doesn't work for me or my project. Seriously, when have you seen a lamp in real life with an unfinished wooden base? Argh. So, while I wait to buy square wooden blocks from the craft store for the exterior of the building (more on that in the future), I finally got around to making a new one.
Before, bleh. This is a stock photo so you can't see the wooden base.
First, I took off the yucky lampshade. The only thing I needed to salvage was the tiny brass screw cylinder thingy (I'm sure it has a technical name but that’s the best I got). Without it, I would have difficulty installing my newly updated shade and replacing the bulb in the future. The shade was remarkably easy to break apart with my hands and a flat-nose plier, but now I had to decide what my new one was going to look like. Originally I was thinking about making it torchiere-style (yup, I don’t know what the screw thingy’s called but a “torchiere’s” no problem); however, I looked through my miscellaneous supplies and found the removable base of an insulin needle that would be perfect for a cylindrical shade. Now for the explanation. I have a close friend whose grandparent has diabetes. I had never seen an insulin needle before, and when I was helping her out one day, I noticed that the orange parts that cap the needle and base might be useful materials for future projects. So, like the thrifty pack rat that I am, I asked her to save me some, and it finally paid off. That's a winded explanation; I just thought it needed a little clarification on why I have random medical supplies lying around.
Anyway...I wanted to match the cylindrical shape of the plastic cap. I could have just used the orange plastic as-is, but it would look a little too retro mod for my project, so I bought a sheet of pearl vellum (which also happened to be 50% off at Hobby Lobby, bam!).
50% off $0.59 = a happy me
I cut the base of the cap to use as the base of my shade and poked a hole in the middle to place the screw part. The plastic was very soft, and all I needed to use was a needle tool. Also, the cap already had a hole indented in the center so I didn't even have to measure (not that I would have anyway).
The next step was to insert the screw portion and cut a small, rectangular strip of the vellum and glue it around the base. I left the base orange to see what it would look like all lit up, and the results were just what I was looking for.
The Sharpie's only used to hold the glued paper together because I couldn't find a clip.
So much for my resolution to stay organized.
What was once a weird, blockhead floor lamp is now a weird, cylindrical floor lamp.
Off / On
Note: If you don't have insulin needle parts hanging around, look for plastic pieces from household products. Hair styling sprayers have great little caps. Or just cut a round piece of mat board and paint it. You can do anything with mat board.